Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Beloved Saturday Morning & Harvest Series





Harvest Season is officially upon us! And although that means summer is coming to an end, I am usually too distracted eating all the delicious fare to even notice!

My two year old usually spends Friday night with my mother at our camp, and my partner usually works side jobs that require him to get up and out of the house VERY early. This leaves little ol’me all alone at home on Saturday mornings. It is an understatement to say that I LOVE Saturday mornings! I consider this time to be very precious…

On Saturday mornings, all by myself, I wake up around 8:30 (bliss!), I get a posh café au lait from the uber hip coffee shop across the street, and then I slowly mosey on up to the farmers market. When I started this tradition, I used to go through to all the booths and try and find the best of everything, no matter how many different stops it took. But then I quickly came to realize that there is only one stop that I needed to make, and that is at After The Fall Farm.


I cannot sing enough praise about this farm. The young couple that run it are absolutely the coolest and friendliest people; they are small, local, sustainable, and pesticide free; and best of all, everything they grow is, without a doubt in my mind, the best I’ve ever tasted! They are the first thing that I think about on my beloved Saturday morning!


I buy whatever they have available- that I know my family will eat and will last through the week. It’s never the same and it’s always exciting to choose. And somehow, no matter what I get, it always comes to $20. I’m not sure if I have a knack for pricing out my veggies or if my favorite farmers just know that I have a $20 budget…

This week, I bought eggs, new potatoes (red and white), swiss chard, green leaf lettuce, an assortment of green/burgundy/white beans, and cucumber.



That brings me to my Harvest Series. All week I have been posting hand spun, hand dyed yarn that has been inspired by this seasons Harvest. Spending Saturday Mornings at the farmers market and eating such delicious food has seeped into my love of dying and fiber art. So I will continue to offer delicious fresh harvest fare in the form of yarney goodness throughout the summer and into the fall. I can only hope to bring a little bit of my love of Saturday’s and After the Fall Farm to you!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...